CONNECTORx CORNERx: 010 - 2023-02-28
CONNECTORx CORNERx Pharmacy Strategy & Career Development Newsletter: Get Ahead of the Curve, Imposter Syndrome, and Happy Life Secret
PHARMACY STRATEGY: Get Ahead of the Curve
Still struggling to cover shifts?
Besides recruiting challenges, the problem may stem from not having an appropriate float pool.
We talked about float pools in a recent CC Newsletter, but I want to dig deeper to highlight turnover.
When someone resigns, it can leave a position open for an average of 6 months. This is due to the time to get the position approved for backfill, recruiting, hiring and a start date usually 4 weeks after offer. Plus, when the person starts there is time to onboard and train.
A nursing department in one organization chose to address this gap with a "Get Ahead of the Curve (GAC)" float pool. While they had a budgeted float pool to cover training time and replacement factor, they created this separate float pool that was unbudgeted. This new pool allows the ability to recruit and train people to be ready for the turnover positions. This allowed the department to "Get Ahead" of the typical 6-month gap to fill a position. They simply moved nurses from the GAC/Training Float Pool to the department with the opening.
I have proposed and implemented such a float pool for pharmacy. It does not have to be separate from other float pool positions but remember the reason these positions do not require a separate budget is you already have budget where the turnover occurred. This float pool just gives you the people to cover your turnover without the gap in time so you can "Get Ahead of the Curve".
Read More: Drug Topics "Workforce Challenges for Health System Pharmacy".
Have you expanded services through grant positions?
CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Imposter Syndrome
Have you experienced imposter syndrome?
Here are several insightful notes to understand this syndrome.
- The persistent inability to believe that one's success is deserved or has been legitimately achieved as a result of one's own efforts or skills.
- Is a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their accomplishments or talents and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a "fraud".
- Despite external evidence of their competence, those experiencing this phenomenon remain convinced that they are frauds, and do not deserve all they have achieved.
- Individuals with impostorism incorrectly attribute their success to luck or interpret it as a result of deceiving others into thinking they are more intelligent than they perceive themselves to be.
- While early research focused on the prevalence among high-achieving women, impostor syndrome has been recognized to affect both men and women equally.
"In order to overcome imposter syndrome in the workplace, it’s important to build your confidence in yourself and your abilities. The sooner you are able to accept yourself for who you are, the easier it will be to lead you and your team toward your goals and celebrate the milestones you’ve reached along the way." - Forbes Coaches Council
FUN & JOY: Happy Life Secret
"For 84 years (and counting), the Harvard Study has tracked the same individuals, asked thousands of questions and taking hundreds of measurements to find out what really keeps people healthy and happy...
One crucial factor stands out... It's not career achievement, or exercise, or a healthy diet. Don't get us wrong; these things matter (a lot). But one thing continuously demonstrates its broad and enduring importance:
If we had to take all 84 years of the Harvard Study and boil it into a single principle for living, one life investment that is supported by similar findings across a wide variety of other studies, it would be this:
Good relationships keep us healthier and happier. Period."
This article shares some tips to enhance your relationships:
- Take stock of your relationships
- Nurture casual relationships
- Make time for conversations
- Cultivate kindness
- Learn to apologize
- Ask questions
- Express your love
- Be willing to be vulnerable
Do you agree that relationships are the secret to a happy life? What are you doing to create good relationships?
SUPPORT AND RESOURCES:
I am here to support you in your journey to advance pharmacy and accelerate your joyful engaging career. Schedule time for us to connect.
Get this CONNECTORx CORNERx Newsletter delivered to you.
Want more impact and joy in your pharmacy career?
Get the 10 Ways to:
Advocate for Resources, Advance Pharmacy Practice, and Accelerate Your Career
We won't spam. Unsubscribe at any time.