003: Languages • of • Appreciation
Have you ever felt a lack of appreciation at work or at home?
Do you feel valued?
Appreciation is communicating a sense of value for the work done and the character of the person
Why is this important?
- Job satisfaction/ engagement
- 64% of employees leave jobs for lack of appreciation
- Employees burn out if not appreciated
- All thrive in an atmosphere of appreciation
Why don’t we feel appreciated?
- People are not speaking the same language.
- There are different ways to communicate appreciation to others.
Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace
Dr. Gary Chapman wrote Love languages and then transitioned this learning and worked with Dr. Paul White to write the 5 Languages o Appreciation in the Workplace
They performed research and identified primary, secondary and least meaningful languages of appreciation.
Key Factors/Principles of the Languages
- Must be individualized and personally delivered
- Must be in valuable to the recipient (in their language)
- An individual will value a certain language more than another (primary vs. secondary)
- Message of appreciation in languages not valued by the recipient will tend to miss the mark. (least meaningful language)
Five Languages of Appreciation
- Words of Affirmation
- Acts of Service
- Quality Time
- Tangible Gifts
- Physical Touch
How to Discover Others Language
Formally - Motivating by Appreciation (MBA) Inventory
Informally - Observe behavior, Observe Requests, Listen to Complaints
Now it is your turn, consider which language is your primary, secondary, and least valued.
If you found value in this video, make sure you like it and then like or subscribe on this page or visit my website kimberboothe.com to sign up for regular insights from me. If you think someone else may find this valuable, then go ahead and share it.
Be Bold Be a Connector and Excel in all areas of Your Life!
Want more impact and joy in your pharmacy career?
Get the 10 Ways to:
Advocate for Resources, Advance Pharmacy Practice, and Accelerate Your Career
We won't spam. Unsubscribe at any time.